Fremont Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Freemont is the county seat of Dodge County, Nebraska. Its historic downtown is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and offers boutiques and antique shops. With Fremont Lakes State Recreation Area, which provides easy access to the Platte River, the city also serves as a launch point for fishing, camping, hiking, waterskiing, and other outdoor activities. For older residents who need assistance, Fremont has at least five nursing homes located within the city and more than a dozen others nearby.
As the population age 65 and older continues to grow, so does the problem of nursing home abuse. In a review of 52 studies from 28 countries, researchers estimate that one in six people ages 60 and older have been subjected to some form of abuse, as reported by the World Health Organization (WHO). The scope of the problem of abuse of older people in institutional settings such as nursing homes is estimated as follows, by type of abuse:
- Psychological abuse – 33.4%
- Physical abuse – 14.1%
- Financial abuse – 13.8%
- Neglect – 11.6%
- Sexual abuse – 1.9%
In Fremont and throughout the country, nursing home abuse occurs in the above forms. Signs and symptoms include the following:
- Psychological abuse (infliction of pain, anguish, or distress through verbal or nonverbal acts): Watch for signs of upset or agitation, withdrawal, non-responsiveness, and unusual behavior.
- Physical abuse (use of force that may result in bodily injury, physical pain, or impairment): Signs include welts, bruises, lacerations, cuts, wounds, fractures, dislocations, and sprains.
- Financial abuse (illegal or improper use of a senior’s assets, property, or funds): It may be good reason to suspect your relative is a victim of financial exploitation if you notice sudden changes in a bank account, unexplained large withdrawals, disappearance of funds or possessions, or additional names on an elder’s bank signature card.
- Neglect (refusal or failure to fulfill any part of a person’s obligations or duties to an elder): Signs of neglect include malnutrition, dehydration, poor personal hygiene, unsanitary living conditions, untreated bed sores, and an unsafe environment.
- Sexual abuse (any nonconsensual sexual contact with an older person): It may be an indication of sexual abuse if you notice torn, stained, or bloody underwear; vaginal or anal bleeding; bruises around the breasts or genitals; or venereal disease or genital infection.
The federal Nursing Home Reform Act of 1987 provides protections for residents and sets quality standards for nursing homes. Facilities that receive funds from Medicare or Medicaid, as many of them do, are required to meet these standards. Among other protections under the act, nursing home residents have a right to privacy, security of their own possessions, necessary care, freedom from physical restraints, and freedom from abuse, mistreatment, and neglect.
If your elderly loved one has been injured through abuse or neglect in a nursing home, the facility may be liable for damages. To recover compensation, you must prove that the nursing home breached a duty of care to your injured loved one; and that the nursing home’s breach of duty caused your loved one’s injuries and resulting damages.
For your best chance of prevailing in a nursing home abuse claim, you need an experienced Fremont injury lawyer by your side. If you suspect abuse or neglect, call Bottlinger Law L.L.C. at (402) 505-8234 to schedule a free consultation. We can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be entitled to claim.
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with the Bottlinger Law team.
Recent Case Results
$1.8 Million Settlement
Nursing Home Abuse
$1.4 Million Settlement
Agricultural Estate Dispute Between Family Members
Non-Surgical Soft Tissue Injury, Pedestrian-motor Vehicle Collision
Rear End Collision, Soft Tissue Injuries (Council Bluffs, Iowa)
Fremont Personal Injury Services
- Fremont Personal Injury Overview
- Fremont Bicycle Accident
- Fremont Bus and Van Accident
- Fremont Car Accident
- Fremont Child Injury
- Fremont Dog Bite
- Fremont Drunk Driver Accident
- Fremont Motorcycle Accident
- Fremont Nursing Home Abuse
- Fremont Pedestrian Accident
- Fremont Premises Liability
- Fremont Product Liability
- Fremont Slip and Fall