Omaha Truck Accident Attorney
If you were in a passenger vehicle and collided with a large commercial truck, chances are you were seriously hurt. When a fully-loaded, 80,000-lb semi tractor-trailer collides with a 3,000-lb passenger vehicle, it is not usually the truck driver who suffers the serious injuries.
Truck Accident Services
At Bottlinger Law L.L.C., we serve Nebraska, Iowa, and Texas; providing personalized legal services to people who have been injured in truck accidents. Our founder, Jason Bottlinger, has been awarded membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, elite groups of attorneys who have achieved high-value settlements and verdicts. You can rely on us for the skilled and dedicated representation you need after a serious accident with a semi tractor-trailer. Call (402) 505-8234 to set up a free consultation.
When it comes to determining blame for a truck accident, there are several parties that can carry the brunt of the responsibility. This includes:
- The driver: Truck drivers have the same duty of care to the vehicles around them as other motor vehicle operators on the road – even more so, because they are professional drivers with a commercial driver’s license. When they behave in a negligent manner and it results in an accident, this duty of care is violated. While most commercial truckers care about safety, too many drive recklessly or under the influence of narcotics, and do not take their legally mandated breaks.
- The trucking company: There are times when truckers drive recklessly or violate federal regulations because their parent companies put unreasonable expectations on them. This can lead to overloaded trucks or deadlines that do not allow drivers to rest appropriately. Your lawyer should investigate the circumstances of the accident to determine if the trucking company put profit over safety.
- Truck and part manufacturers: Defective motor vehicles present distinct dangers to drivers on Nebraska’s interstates and highways. This is especially true when the vehicle in question is a massive semi-truck, with thousands of vital parts. If you were involved in a truck accident due to an equipment malfunction, we can pursue legal action against the manufacturer to get you and your family justice.
Since the victims of these crashes often suffer catastrophic injuries, like shattered bones, spinal cord trauma, crushed limbs, organ rupture, and brain damage, it is important to get them medical treatment first, and to continue treatment until maximum recovery.
As stated in the Large Truck Crash Causation Study Analysis Brief published by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), of all the large trucks studied that were involved in single and multi-vehicle accidents, 55% of the trucks or their drivers were “the critical cause” for the crash.
Researchers in this large study found that the top 10 factors in traffic accidents associated with the large trucks, in descending order, were:
- Truck brake problems
- Interruption of traffic flow (traffic congestion or a wreck)
- Driver prescription drug use
- Truck traveling too fast for conditions
- Driver unfamiliar with roadway
- Roadway problems
- Driver required to stop before crash (crosswalk, traffic controls)
- Driver over-the-counter drug use
- Driver inadequate surveillance
- Driver fatigue
Some wrecks are distinct to semi-trucks, and they can result in traumatic damage to both vehicles and passengers involved. These accidents include:
- Jackknifes: When a tractor-trailer jackknifes, the trailer folds in on the cab at a sharp angle, into a shape not dissimilar from a pocketknife. This can occur when the truck starts to skid out of control, or a driver operates the vehicle in a reckless manner. In Nebraska, one of the leading causes for jackknife accidents is poor weather conditions. In the winter months, our roads and highways can be extremely dangerous for vehicles. However, jackknifing can occur due to equipment failure. If the truck’s load is heavy or unevenly balanced, it is more likely to jackknife.
- Underrides: An underride occurs when a passenger vehicle collides with a truck and the front end goes partially or completely under the rear or side of the trailer, sometimes sheering the roof off the vehicle. This is incredibly dangerous for the driver and passengers in the smaller vehicle, and often ends in serious injury or death.
- Rollovers: Due to their large size, trucks have a higher center of gravity and are particularly vulnerable to rollover accidents. These accidents can result in a large amount of debris, wreckage, and machinery spilling out all over the road, presenting serious dangers to oncoming vehicles.
- Runaway trailers: Arunaway trailer occurs when the speed of the trailer and the speed of the cab differ, which results in the truck veering out of control, or the trailer detaching from the cab. There is no stopping a runaway, out-of-control trailer once it broken away from the truck. The results of such a crash can involve numerous vehicles and be deadly for those involved.
At Bottlinger Law L.L.C., our founding attorney began his career defending insurance companies in high-value disputes. This in-depth knowledge of how the other side operates that he gained from the experience gives him an edge in representing individuals in personal injury matters, including claims against large trucking firms.
If you or your loved one has been seriously hurt in a collision with a tractor-trailer, contact us to schedule a free consultation at (402) 505-8234. We can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be able to claim.
- The Risk of an Ethanol Truck Spill
- What To Do After a Truck Accident
- The Ever-Present Danger of Tractor-Trailers
- Truckers Charge Ahead in America’s Most Dangerous Jobs
- Large Trucks - Traffic Safety Facts 2017 Data
- FMCSA: Large Truck Crash Causation Study - Analysis Brief
- Large Truck Fatality Facts - IIHS
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with attorney Jason Bottlinger.
Membership in this group is restricted only to attorneys who have won multi-millions dollar verdicts for their clients.
Jason Bottlinger has been named one of the Top 40 Lawyers under the age of 40 in the state by The National Trial Lawyers organization.
Our firm has a perfect A+ from the Better Business Bureau of Nebraska, which grades based on 13 different factors.see all accolades