Omaha Garbage Truck Accident Attorneys
City dwellers need regular solid waste disposal. Garbage truck drivers perform an essential service for people in Omaha. Unfortunately, these large trucks also come with inherent dangers for other motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists on the roadways. If you have been injured in a wreck involving a garbage truck, you may have a personal injury claim for compensation.
Truck Accident Services
- Truck Accident Overview
- Cargo Spill
- Drunk Trucker Accident
- Garbage Truck Accident
- Overloaded Truck
- Rollover Accident
- Runaway Trailer Accident
- Tanker Truck Accident
- Truck Driver Fatigue Accident
- Truck Driver Negligence
- Truck Equipment Failure
- Trucking Regulations and Violations
- Underride Accident
- View All Practice Areas
Although these vehicles are often traveling at slower speeds, garbage truck collisions can cause serious injuries to passenger vehicle occupants, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians sharing the road. Several different factors make garbage trucks inherently dangerous:
- Large, heavy vehicles: Under the laws of physics, a collision with a big, heavy truck is more likely to do serious damage to people in much lighter passenger vehicles. The risk is even greater for pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
- Frequent stops: It is in the nature of their operations for garbage trucks to stop suddenly and frequently to collect garbage.
- Blind spots: Bulky vehicles such as garbage and recycling trucks have blind spots that can contribute to wrecks if drivers fail to diligently check their mirrors.
- Narrow roadways: Trash collection occurs on residential streets, where narrow streets may leave little room for big garbage truck drivers to maneuver.
- Distracted driving: Garbage truck crews have a route to follow and job to do while operating big garbage trucks. They are not likely to be focused solely on operating the motor vehicle. In addition to their occupational tasks, drivers may be texting or talking on cell phones, or may be otherwise distracted.
- Vehicle malfunction: If the brakes or the steering system fail on a large, heavy garbage truck, it can have serious consequences for others on the road.
Negligence can contribute to garbage truck collisions in any number of ways. For example, a driver may neglect to check blind spots and mirrors before driving around a parked car or pulling away from a residential stop. A garbage truck driver may tailgate another vehicle, leading to a serious rear-end collision. Distracted garbage or recycling truck drivers may run stop signs or red lights, causing side-impact crashes with other vehicles.
After a serious garbage truck wreck, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced Omaha truck accident attorney. You may have a claim for compensation against a local government entity or against a private company. There are different filing deadlines and requirements when you file a claim against a government agency than when you file against a private party. Your lawyer can help ensure you follow the proper procedures within the prescribed time limits.
For example, if you file a claim against the City of Omaha, a letter stating the details of the incident, along with two to three estimates of the cost of repair or replacement for property damage, must be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office within one year from the date of the incident. On the other hand, if you are filing a traffic crash claim in civil court against a private company, the statute of limitations (time limit imposed by law) is four years.
At Bottlinger Law L.L.C., we are compassionate listeners and effective litigators. Our goal is to put you at ease, knowing recovery is just around the corner. Our firm was established in 2013. Founding attorney, Jason Bottlinger, has been practicing since 2006. If you have been injured in a collision with a garbage truck in Omaha, call us at (402) 505-8234 to find out how we can help.
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with attorney Jason Bottlinger.
Membership in this group is restricted only to attorneys who have won multi-millions dollar verdicts for their clients.
Jason Bottlinger has been named one of the Top 40 Lawyers under the age of 40 in the state by The National Trial Lawyers organization.
Our firm has a perfect A+ from the Better Business Bureau of Nebraska, which grades based on 13 different factors.see all accolades