Omaha Car Accident Lawyer
Unfortunately, car accidents are a fact of life in the United States. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), 35,092 people died in motor vehicle accidents in 2015, up 7.2% from the prior year, representing the highest increase in 50 years. On average, 6,700 people were injured and 96 lost their lives in traffic crashes every day of the year.
As reported by the Department of Roads, in the state of Nebraska alone, there were 33,988 traffic crashes in 2015:
- 22,121 property damage only
- 11,649 injury crashes
- 218 fatal accidents
From those, a total of 16,806 people were injured and 246 lost their lives on our state’s roadways in a single year. At Bottlinger Law L.L.C., we help people who have been injured in car accidents caused by someone else’s negligence. We’re real people, and we understand how upsetting accidents can be.
Our Omaha attorneys also represent people who have been injured in motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, and the many intersection/highway accidents that occur in Nebraska, often involving large commercial trucks. As reported in 2015 state statistics, 16,461 multi-vehicle crashes occurred at intersections, a large percentage of which resulted in serious or fatal injuries.
Types of Driver Negligence That Cause Accidents
With so many vehicles on the roadways, accidents are bound to happen. Weather and road conditions can be contributing factors, but most accidents are caused by driver negligence. Motorists on public roadways have a duty to exercise reasonable care to prevent foreseeable harm to others. Sadly, drivers often fail in that duty in a number of ways.
Of the 33,988 traffic crashes reported in Nebraska in 2015, including truck and motorcycle accidents, the state assigned the following driver-contributing factors:
- Failure to yield the right-of-way: 5,471 crashes
- Following too closely: 4,504 crashes
- Driver inattention: 3,537 crashes
- Operating vehicle in erratic manner: 2,572 crashes
- Disregarding traffic controls: 1,895 crashes
- Leaving lane or running off road: 1,765 crashes
- Excessive speed: 1,670 crashes
- Other improper driver actions: 1,471 crashes
- Driver distraction: 865 crashes
- Improper turns: 596 crashes
- Swerving or avoiding: 513 crashes
- Fatigued driving or asleep at wheel: 312 crashes
- Defective equipment: 177 crashes
Recovering Damages in an Omaha Car Accident Claim
If you have been seriously injured in a traffic crash caused by someone else’s negligence, contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Immediately after the accident, it’s critical to gather and preserve the evidence supporting your case.
Nebraska is an at-fault state for traffic accidents. If you have suffered injuries in an accident that was someone else’s fault, you have several options for recovering compensation:
- File a claim with your own insurance company (which will seek reimbursement from the responsible party’s insurance company);
- File a third-party claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company;
- File a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
Our experienced car accident legal team at Bottlinger Law L.L.C. can advise you of the best way to proceed and work to ensure you receive medical treatment for your injuries, as well as compensation for the full extent of your losses. You may be eligible to claim damages, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Lost future earnings
- Pain and suffering
Our Omaha personal injury lawyers handle car, motorcycle, and truck accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay us no fees unless we obtain a recovery for you. If you have been hurt in an accident, call us at (402) 505-8234 to schedule a free consultation. We listen to you, and we guarantee effort, responsiveness, and tireless work on our clients’ behalf.
- How Safe Are Omaha Drivers Compared to the Rest of the Nation?
- III: Auto Crashes
- Motor Vehicle Safety - CDC
- NE Department of Roads: 2015 Annual Report: Traffic Crash Facts
- Nebraska Crash Data
- Nebraska Official Department of Motor Vehicles
Our Car Accident Services
Learn more about car accident services by clicking the links below.