Omaha Overloaded Truck Collision Attorney
The trucking industry has always been a vital part of this nation’s economy. With the convenience of interstate highways, cargo trucks regularly zoom across Nebraska to transport their freight around the country. Trucking companies, like every other business, want to keep their profits up, and this can be done by minimizing the cost of transporting freight: for example, by overloading trailers beyond what is allowed by the federal government. Fewer trips mean more money, but this is a dangerous thing to do. Furthermore, a company may neglect other safety concerns and fail to properly secure its cargo in the crunch for less time, which can lead to significant risks for other drivers on the road.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a collision due to an overloaded truck or unsecured cargo in Omaha, we are here to help. Bottlinger Law L.L.C., has the experience to fight for your case and ensure your rights are protected. Call an Omaha overloaded truck accident lawyer at (402) 505-8234 to schedule a free consultation.
Commercial trucks are held to strict standards regarding how much freight they can carry at one time. Trucking companies are also required to ensure that all cargo is properly secured in the vehicles to prevent improper weight distribution – a “shifting load.” Overloaded trucks, or trucks with unsecured cargo, may require drivers to act differently than they would under normal circumstances. Potential dangers include:
- Different center of gravity: When too much cargo is loaded onto a truck, or if it is not properly tied down, the contents in the truck may shift during travel. If this occurs, the truck’s center of gravity will change, which increases the likelihood of rollovers and jackknife accidents.
- Increased or decreased speeds: An overloaded truck increases the weight of the vehicle. When the truck is traveling downhill, this will cause the speed of the truck to increase, raising the likelihood of a collision. When the truck is traveling uphill, the overloaded cargo will cause the truck to decrease in speed, which also can lead to a potential collision with other drivers.
- Equipment malfunction: Too much cargo can have an impact on the brakes, tires, and other components of a big rig. For example, too much weight can wear down the brakes and make it more difficult for the truck to come to a complete stop.
What is almost certain in these cases is that the driver’s ability to handle the semi-truck will be worse. Then, the driver can easily lose control and cause a serious wreck.
If a truck crashes due to an overloaded or improperly secured load, liability generally falls on the company that placed the cargo in the vehicle and verified it was ready to drive. In order to prove the trucking company liable for the collision, you must prove that they were negligent in loading and sending the truck out onto the road like that.
Getting in a wreck with a commercial vehicle, regardless of the cause, is always a serious affair. The large size of tractor-trailers creates the risk of serious injury if you or a loved one is involved in an accident with one. These injuries can lead to life-changing - sometimes deadly - consequences for the victims, so it’s necessary that you protect your rights after you find yourself in the middle of a collision.
Working with an experienced Omaha truck accident attorney can make a difficult process simpler. At Bottlinger Law L.L.C., our legal team will gather evidence and evaluate the unique circumstances of your case to ensure the right parties are held responsible. You may be able to seek financial compensation that covers your medical bills, lost future income, and even emotional pain and suffering. Don’t hesitate to get started protecting your rights and your livelihood. Contact us at (402) 505-8234 to schedule a free consultation.
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with the Bottlinger Law team.
Membership in this group is restricted only to attorneys who have won multi-millions dollar verdicts for their clients.
Jason Bottlinger has been named one of the Top 40 Lawyers under the age of 40 in the state by The National Trial Lawyers organization.
Our firm has a perfect A+ from the Better Business Bureau of Nebraska, which grades based on 13 different factors.
Truck Accident Services
- Truck Accident Overview
- Amazon Delivery Accident
- Cargo Spill
- Construction Vehicle Accident
- Drunk Trucker Accident
- FedEx Accident
- Garbage Truck Accident
- Moving Truck Accidents
- Overloaded Truck
- Rollover Accident
- Runaway Trailer Accident
- Tanker Truck Accident
- Tow Truck Accident
- Truck Driver Fatigue Accident