Omaha Road Rash Lawyers
Road rash is a type of skin abrasion or friction burn that occurs when the skin is scraped against a rough surface. In severe cases, road rash can be so extreme that it removes the skin. This painful injury is frequently sustained by motorcyclists and bicyclists in a collision. It can also occur when an occupant is ejected from a vehicle. Depending on the severity, road rash may require extensive medical treatment.
Personal Injury Services
- Personal Injury Overview
- Boat Accident
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Camp Lejeune Contamination
- Child Injury
- Crush Injury
- Day Care Accident
- Degloving Injury
- Dog Bite
- Electrical Injuries
- Eye Injury/Vision Loss
- Farm Equipment Injury
- Foodborne Illness
- Government Tort Claim
- Nerve Injury
- NFL Head Injury
- Organ Damage
- Playground Accident
- Road Rash
- Scarring And Disfigurement
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Tractor Accident
- Train Accident
- Wrongful Death
Skin can be scraped off any exposed part of the body in a bike wreck. Common areas for road rash include the elbows, knees, shins, ankles, hands, face, and shoulders. Road rash injuries may include:
- Avulsion: With this type of road rash, the top layers of skin are scraped away. In severe cases, the fatty layer underneath, muscle, and even bone can be affected.
- Compression: This type of injury occurs when a body part is trapped between objects. For example, a rider may suffer a compression road rash when leg is trapped between the bike and the road.
- Open wounds: If road rash involves tearing of the skin, it is an open wound that may require sutures.
Road rash is categorized by degrees, as are burns.
- First-degree road rash: This is a minor injury that may involve small scrapes, tenderness, redness, bruising, and slight bleeding. It is important to thoroughly clean the affected area. Most cases of mild road rash can be treated at home.
- Second-degree road rash: Damage is more severe with second degree road rash. It may involve pain to the touch, swelling, bleeding, radiating heat, and exposed muscle, tendons, or nerves. Scarring is common with this type of injury. Keep the wounds clean and seek medical attention right away.
- Third-degree road rash: Skin can be flayed off in severe road rash injuries. This causes deep wounds, bleeding, and swelling. The wounds may cover more than 10% of the body, and muscle, tendons, nerves, and bones may be exposed. The wounds may be extremely painful or not painful at all due to nerve damage. Get medical attention immediately. Scarring and deformity are common with third-degree road rash.
As road rash injuries break the skin, there is always a risk of infection. Staph, tetanus, and necrotizing fasciitis are serious infections commonly associated with skin abrasions. Road rash comes with other serious risks, including:
- Scarring and disfigurement: Third-degree road rash can cause scarring and disfigurement, particularly on the face, hands, or other visible areas. It may require skin grafting.
- Chronic wounds: A wound that takes an abnormally long time to heal and repeatedly opens is chronic. This condition can be caused by a bacterial infection or a weakened immune system. Underlying health conditions can make chronic wounds more likely to occur.
- Joint area scarring: When elbows, knees, or other jointed areas are affected by road rash, the skin can be tighter when it heals than it was before the injury. This can make it difficult to fully extend or bend the joint. You may need physical therapy or surgery to correct the problem.
- Permanent damage to nerves, muscle, or tissue: Severe road rash can cause severe and permanent nerve damage.
If you suffered road rash injuries in a crash caused by someone else’s negligence, you have a right to seek compensation for your losses. Your best chance of recovering the compensation you deserve is with an Omaha personal injury lawyer handling your case.
Call Bottlinger Law L.L.C. at (402) 505-8234 to schedule a free consultation. We provide legal help and guidance to injured people. Our legal team can advise you on the best way to proceed.
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with the Bottlinger Law team.
Membership in this group is restricted only to attorneys who have won multi-millions dollar verdicts for their clients.
Jason Bottlinger has been named one of the Top 40 Lawyers under the age of 40 in the state by The National Trial Lawyers organization.
Our firm has a perfect A+ from the Better Business Bureau of Nebraska, which grades based on 13 different factors.see all accolades