Omaha Airbnb Accident Attorney
Omaha is a growing tourist destination with many attractions, events, and festivals. The Old Market District is a popular destination for tourists seeking a vibrant and historic urban experience. Omaha’s diverse culinary scene and sports events have led to a growing reputation as a great place to live and visit. To capitalize on Omaha’s growing tourism scene, many have opened their properties to tourists for rent through Airbnb. Unfortunately, some Airbnb properties may pose a heightened risk of injury for guests due to owner negligence.
If you or someone you know has been injured while staying at an Airbnb property, you may have the right to pursue legal action and receive compensation for your damages. At Bottlinger Law L.L.C., we are a team of experienced legal professionals led by renowned attorney Jason Bottlinger, a leading Nebraska lawyer. Mr. Bottlinger is a member of the elite Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a testament to his ability to achieve outstanding verdicts and settlements for his clients. Our firm is known for delivering custom-tailored legal solutions and personalized service with honesty, integrity, and a proud Midwestern work ethic.
To schedule a free consultation about your case, call us at (402) 505-8234 today.
Airbnb hosts owe a duty of care to guests who are lawfully on the premises. This duty typically includes maintaining the property in a reasonably safe condition and addressing known hazards or risks. Specifically, Airbnb hosts are generally responsible for things such as:
- Reasonable inspection and maintenance: Hosts are generally expected to conduct regular inspections of the property to identify and address potential hazards. This includes maintaining the property in a reasonably safe condition.
- Warning guests of known hazards: If hosts are aware of specific hazards on the property that may not be obvious to guests, they may have a duty to warn guests about these risks.
- Security measures: Depending on the circumstances, hosts may have a duty to implement reasonable security measures to protect guests from foreseeable criminal activities.
- Compliance with building codes: Hosts are typically expected to comply with applicable building codes and safety regulations to ensure the property meets specific standards for safety.
- Prompt response to reported issues: If hosts become aware of hazards or issues through guest reports or otherwise, they may have a duty to address and rectify those problems promptly.
While Airbnb itself does not own or directly manage the properties listed on its platform, hosts may be driven by cost-saving pressures to cut corners, neglect maintenance, or bypass safety regulations. For example, hosts might skimp on safety measures such as fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, or emergency exits to save on upfront costs. Insufficient safety measures can increase the risk of accidents and injuries, such as:
- Slip- or trips-and-falls: Failure to address hazards such as uneven flooring, loose carpets, or wet surfaces can lead to slip- or trips-and-fall accidents.
- Electrical hazards: Neglecting electrical system maintenance can result in faulty wiring, electrical shocks, or even fires.
- Structural issues: Lack of regular inspections and repairs may lead to structural problems, such as weakened floors, walls, or ceilings, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Fire hazards: Inadequate maintenance of heating systems, fireplaces, or electrical appliances can pose fire hazards. This is especially concerning if smoke detectors or fire extinguishers are not properly maintained.
- Poorly maintained outdoor spaces: Neglected outdoor areas, such as decks, balconies, or stairs, can pose risks if not properly maintained and inspected for safety.
- Lack of emergency information: Failure to provide clear emergency information, including evacuation procedures and emergency contact numbers, can hinder guests’ ability to respond appropriately during crises.
After suffering an injury on the premises of an Omaha Airbnb property, you may be uncertain as to whether you are entitled to pursue a legal claim for your injuries. If you suspect that you have fallen victim to Airbnb host negligence and wish to pursue a claim, there are several steps you should take to assess the situation and preserve your claim:
- Seek medical attention: If negligence has led to injuries, seek prompt medical attention. Document your injuries, keep medical records, and obtain a professional opinion about the connection between the negligence and your injuries.
- Document the issue: Take clear and detailed photos or videos of the hazardous conditions or issues you have encountered. This evidence can be crucial in establishing negligence and the impact it had on your stay.
- Communicate with the host: Notify the host immediately about the issue through the Airbnb messaging system. Clearly describe the problem, provide evidence if possible, and request prompt resolution. Document your communication.
- Contact Airbnb support: If the issue persists or if the host is unresponsive, contact Airbnb’s customer support. Use the Airbnb platform to report the problem, providing them with a detailed account of the issue, your communications with the host, and any evidence you have.
- Keep records: Maintain a detailed record of all communication with the host and Airbnb support. This includes messages, emails, and any other correspondence related to the issue.
- Consult legal advice: If negligence resulted in significant harm or financial loss, consider consulting with a legal professional who specializes in personal injury or premises liability law. They can provide advice on the viability of a legal claim.
In an Omaha Airbnb personal injury case, various damages may be available to the injured party. The specific damages depend on the circumstances of the injury and the extent of the harm suffered. Here are some common damages that may be available in such cases:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of medical treatment, hospitalization, surgery, prescription medications, rehabilitation, and any other necessary medical care related to the injury.
- Lost wages: If the injury results in the victim being unable to work, they may be entitled to compensation for lost wages. This includes both past and future income that the person would have earned had they not been injured.
- Pain and suffering: Compensation may be sought for physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish caused by the injury. This is a non-economic damage that is more subjective but aims to compensate the victim for the intangible effects of the injury.
Retaining an Omaha premises liability lawyer is essential for protecting your interests, advocating for your rights, and maximizing your chances of a favorable outcome. Your attorney can conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances of the accident, gather evidence, and build a strong case to establish liability. When dealing with insurance companies or pursuing legal action, having a skilled negotiator and advocate on your side significantly improves your chances of obtaining fair compensation.
If you’ve been injured at an Airbnb property due to host negligence, you don’t have to face the legal process alone—contact Bottlinger Law L.L.C. We are committed to delivering legal solutions with the highest standards of integrity and professionalism. If you’re worried about upfront costs, don’t be. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don’t pay anything until we win your case.
Schedule a free consultation to discuss your case and explore your legal options—call (402) 505-8234 today.
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with the Bottlinger Law team.
Membership in this group is restricted only to attorneys who have won multi-millions dollar verdicts for their clients.
Jason Bottlinger has been named one of the Top 40 Lawyers under the age of 40 in the state by The National Trial Lawyers organization.
Our firm has a perfect A+ from the Better Business Bureau of Nebraska, which grades based on 13 different factors.
Premises Liability Services
- Premises Liability Overview
- Airbnb Accident
- Airport Accident
- Amusement Park Accident
- Apartment Complex Injuries
- Commercial Business Injury
- Elevator/Escalator Accident
- HOA and Condominium Association Injury
- Hotel Premises Liability
- Icy Walkway Injury
- Negligent Security
- Sidewalk Injury