blog home Car Accidents Dealing with Uninsured/Underinsured Accidents

Dealing with Uninsured/Underinsured Accidents

By Jason Bottlinger on April 17, 2017

Getting in a car accident is scary enough. Facing the expenses of medical treatment, having to miss time from work and thereby having to make do with less, and having to pay for additional help, are very real possibilities for someone injured in an accident. When that accident was caused by someone who carried either not enough insurance (underinsured) or no insurance at all (uninsured), what recourse do you have?

What Do Uninsured and Underinsured Mean?

Nebraska law requires that drivers maintain insurance coverage limits in the amounts of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. Driving without insurance or without the statutorily required amounts is illegal. Unfortunately, not every driver follows the law. In addition, if a driver can’t or won’t pay for the legally mandated minimum, it is also unlikely that he or she will be in a position to pay for the costs of damage caused in an accident.

Moreover, even the minimum insurance levels required by law may not be sufficient to cover the costs of a catastrophic injury. This is why Omaha drivers should carry coverage on their own policies to help cover an accident with an uninsured/underinsured driver.

What Are My Options If I’m Injured by an Underinsured/Uninsured Driver?

Obviously, if the accident was caused by the actions of the other driver, it only makes sense that that person should bear some legal responsibility. However, if the person was willing to drive illegally rather than maintain the required insurance levels—he or she may not have the means or the wherewithal to step up and pay for driving errors.

Depending on the facts of your case, and the type of insurance you maintain, you may be able to bring a claim to your own insurance company and seek recovery of your damages from them. It’s even possible that a third party is responsible in part for the accident.

In order to evaluate your case and help you make the best possible decision under the circumstances, you need legal advice and counsel. Call an Omaha car accident lawyer at Bottlinger Law L.L.C. at (402) 505-8234. We are here to help, and we will work tirelessly to obtain the compensation you deserve.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Car Accidents

Bottlinger Law
Consultation Form

Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with the Bottlinger Law team.