blog home Car Accidents What Happens When a Car Hits Your House?

What Happens When a Car Hits Your House?

By Jason Bottlinger on October 4, 2017

Imagine: you’re sitting in your comfortable Omaha home, perhaps watching the news or playing a board game with your family. Suddenly, you hear a thud and feel the house shake. You head to the front door to see if a tree fell, or if there was some weather-related incident, and instead find the front end of a vehicle crashed into your living room.

What Should I Do Now?

Obviously, the first thing to do is make sure everyone is safe! Evacuate everyone away from the car, just in case there is risk of fire, and call 911.

Follow all instructions from emergency personnel. If the driver and passengers of the vehicle are able to get themselves out of the car, help them move to a safe location but only deliver first aid that you are comfortable giving.

Once everyone is safely away from potential danger, take pictures or video and exchange information and records with all those involved. If you can, get the names, addresses, and insurance policies from everyone in the car. Be on the lookout for any unusual behavior—people don’t normally crash into houses. It could be that the driver or passengers are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or that distracted driving was to blame.

Contact your homeowners insurance company. They may be able to turn to the driver and/or the driver’s insurance to recover those damages. Regardless, it is essential that you notify them right away.

Within ten days, the driver will be required to file a Form DR-41, the Nebraska Driver’s Motor Vehicle Accident Report, and you should get a copy for your records as well.

Can I Recover Costs from the At-Fault Driver?

If anyone in your home was harmed as a result of the crash, you may be entitled to recover costs for treatment and any therapies, as well as lost wages if he or she was unable to work for a time.

Bear in mind that the statutory minimum insurance that the driver maintains may not be enough to cover those costs, and that there is a limited time period to pursue a legal claim against the driver and his or her insurance.

The road to recovery, both financial and emotional, can be challenging. Rebuilding your home will take time and money. If this kind of freak accident happens, speak to an attorney who understands the law. In Omaha, uninsured or underinsured motorists are no joke. Reach out to Bottlinger Law L.L.C. at (402) 505-8234.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Car Accidents

Bottlinger Law
Consultation Form

Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with the Bottlinger Law team.