Papillion and La Vista Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Representing Injured Older People in Papillion-La Vista
Papillion and La Vista Personal Injury Services
- Papillion and La Vista Personal Injury Overview
- Papillion and La Vista Bicycle Accident
- Papillion and La Vista Car Accident
- Papillion and La Vista Dog Bite
- Papillion and La Vista Motorcycle Accident
- Papillion and La Vista Nursing Home Abuse
- Papillion and La Vista Pedestrian Accident
- Papillion and La Vista Premises Liability
- Papillion and La Vista Product Liability
- Papillion and La Vista Traumatic Brain Injury
- Papillion and La Vista Truck Accident
- Papillion and La Vista Uninsured Motorist Claims
- Papillion and La Vista Wrongful Death
Papillion is the seat of Sarpy County and part of the Omaha greater metro area. La Vista is only a three-mile drive away from Papillion. Attractions of Papillion-La Vista include access to spectacular outdoor recreation while enjoying the luxuries a big city can provide. For families with elderly loved ones who need extra care, Papillion-Vista has several nursing homes, with many more located nearby.
How Much Abuse and Neglect Occurs in Nursing Homes?
Nursing home abuse and neglect is more prevalent than you might suspect. Although data is scarce and many instances of abuse are never reported, a review of recent studies indicates that 64.2% of nursing home staff report perpetrating some form of abuse in the past year, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Prevalence of abuse by type of abuse, as reported by residents and their proxies, is:
- 33.4% -- Emotional abuse
- 14.1% -- Physical abuse
- 13.8% -- Financial abuse
- 11.6% -- Neglect
- 1.9% -- Sexual abuse
What Are the Causes of Nursing Home Abuse?
No specific cause of nursing home abuse has been determined. In many cases, it may be attributed to negligence on the part of nursing home facilities and their administrators. Nursing homes contribute to abuse and neglect of residents through:
- Underpaying staff
- Negligent hiring practices
- Inadequate training
- Poor management
- Poor-quality facilities
How Do You Recognize the Different Types of Nursing Home Abuse?
Abuse occurs in different forms in nursing homes, and each type has its own signs and symptoms:
- Physical abuse: Signs and symptoms of physical abuse include black eyes, bruises, rope marks, lacerations, broken bones, internal injuries, sprains, dislocations, and broken eyeglasses.
- Emotional abuse: You may suspect emotional abuse if you notice that your loved one is agitated or upset, withdrawn and non-communicative, sucking, biting, rocking, or displaying unusual behavior.
- Neglect: When a nursing home fails to provide life necessities to an elderly resident, it can take a terrible toll. Symptoms of neglect include dehydration, malnutrition, bed sores, poor personal hygiene, untreated health problems, and hazardous or unsanitary living conditions.
- Financial abuse: Sudden changes in an elder’s financial situation could indicate financial exploitation. Be alert for sudden changes in a bank account, large and unexplained withdrawals, disappearance of funds or valuable possessions, and abrupt changes in a will or financial documents.
- Sexual abuse: Although it is not as common as other types of abuse, sexual abuse does occur in nursing homes. Signs include bruises around the breasts or genitals, torn, stained, or bloody underclothing, genital infections, venereal disease, and anal or vaginal bleeding.
What Laws Protect Elderly People from Abuse in Nursing Homes?
Congress passed the Nursing Home Reform Act in 1987. The act establishes requirements for nursing homes to provide specific services to residents. It also includes a Bill of Rights, listing the basic rights of residents, which include the right to: voice grievances without retaliation or discrimination; receive necessary medical care; exercise self-determination; refuse medication or other treatments; freedom from physical restraints; and freedom from abuse, neglect, and mistreatment.
Can an Attorney Help?
If you suspect a senior family member has been a victim of nursing home abuse, it is in your best interests to speak with an experienced Papillion-La Vista injury lawyer. You may have a claim for compensation for your elderly loved one’s injuries against the nursing home facility. Depending on the circumstances, damages you may be entitled to claim may include medical expenses, refund of nursing home expenses, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Contact Bottlinger Law L.L.C. at (402) 505-8234. We are dedicated advocates for injured senior citizens.
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with the Bottlinger Law team.
$1.8 Million Settlement
Nursing Home Abuse
$1.4 Million Settlement
Agricultural Estate Dispute Between Family Members
Non-Surgical Soft Tissue Injury, Pedestrian-motor Vehicle Collision
Rear End Collision, Soft Tissue Injuries (Council Bluffs, Iowa)