Omaha Nursing Home Neglect Lawyers
Fighting for Our Elderly Loved Ones
Taking care of an elderly family member can be a daunting task, and often requires knowledge, skills, and equipment that most of us simply do not possess. When we entrust our loved ones to nursing homes, we expect these facilities to provide the highest level of care and professionalism to keep our family members as safe and healthy as possible. Sadly, nursing home neglect is growing more common.
Nursing Home Abuse Services
Nursing Home Neglect vs. Abuse
Essentially, nursing home neglect is a form of abuse, often more passive than active. We think of abuse as direct action, such as physical violence, verbal threats, or stealing from nursing home residents. Neglect, however, can also come in the form of apathy or inattention: when those we trust to take care of our elderly family members fail to do their jobs. As understaffing problems increase around the nation, so does neglect in assisted living facilities. This can have serious consequences for the ones we love.
Common Types of Nursing Home Neglect
Although neglect can come in many different forms, some of the most common ones include:
- Malnutrition: This happens when nursing home staff members do not provide proper food, water, and exercise for elderly residents. Malnutrition can occur because of caregivers not bringing food to a resident, someone else taking and eating a resident's food, or when a resident cannot feed himself and no action is taken to assist him.
- Wandering/Elopement: Elopement occurs when a nursing home resident is not properly monitored and is allowed to wander away from the facility. This is a particular danger for residents with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, as they may try to perform tasks or go to work as they did many years or decades before. Elopement can result in serious injuries and even death if someone wanders into traffic.
- Bedsores: Bedsores, also called pressure sores, occur when someone who is bedridden is not moved properly and routinely. Initially, bedsores are a minor skin condition that can be easily treated and prevented from getting worse. If not handled promptly, however, they can cause permanent damage to muscles and bones, in addition to serious infection.
- Failure to Provide Medication: Many nursing home residents require daily medication for ailments or simply to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If the home fails to provide this medication, either through neglect or due to staff stealing the medications, residents can suffer greatly for it.
What Can We Do About It?
If you suspect that your family member is being neglected or abused, take action immediately. Trust your instincts and contact the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, Adult Protective Services at (800) 652-1999 to file a report and get law enforcement and other agencies involved. Provide them with as much information as you can. You might need to remove your family member from the home.
Once your loved one is protected, consider holding those who neglected your family member responsible. A civil lawsuit can help offset the expenses of relocating or providing additional care for your loved one, as well as recover additional damages from those who neglected your family member. Call Bottlinger Law L.L.C. at (402) 505-8234 to discuss your options with an Omaha nursing home abuse attorney. Your consultation is free.
- Warning Signs of Emotional or Psychological Nursing Home Abuse
- Nebraska DHHS: Adult Protective Services
- Elder Abuse - CDC
- Elder Justice - National Council on Aging
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with attorney Jason Bottlinger.
Membership in this group is restricted only to attorneys who have won multi-millions dollar verdicts for their clients.
Jason Bottlinger has been named one of the Top 40 Lawyers under the age of 40 in the state by The National Trial Lawyers organization.
Our firm has a perfect A+ from the Better Business Bureau of Nebraska, which grades based on 13 different factors.see all accolades