How to Get the Most Out of Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
Motorcycle riders are completely unprotected in a crash and much more likely to suffer serious injuries than passenger vehicle occupants. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you will want to get the most out of your accident claim. An experienced Omaha personal injury attorney can help you do just that.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Any part of the body can be injured in a motorcycle crash. The worst injuries occur when the front of the motorcycle is the point of impact. Common injuries include:
- Lower-extremity injuries: These injuries include sprains, strains, tears, dislocations, fractures, and lacerations of the legs, knees, ankles, feet, and toes. The lower extremities are the most frequently injured area in motorcycle accidents.
- Traumatic brain injury: Although a helmet can help, riders who wear them can still sustain TBI in a crash. Traumatic brain injury is the most common fatal injury in motorcycle accidents.
- Spinal cord injury: A motorcyclist can be thrown from the bike in a collision, and the spinal cord can sustain injury from the impact. This can cause paralysis and permanent disability.
- Internal injuries: Blunt force trauma in a crash can damage internal organs and cause internal bleeding. Internal injuries can also be caused by penetration trauma – when a sharp object, such as broken glass, penetrates the skin.
- Road rash: This injury is an abrasion caused by friction that happens when the skin is scraped against a rough surface, such as the pavement. Road rash severity can range from a mild case that can be treated at home to a severe case that requires emergency medical attention and may cause permanent scarring and disfigurement.
Types of Compensation for Motorcycle Accidents
If a motorcycle crash that was not your fault caused you serious injuries, you have several avenues for seeking compensation.
Personal Injury Claim
You may be entitled to file a claim for compensation against the party who is liable for your accident and injuries. Damages you may be entitled to claim may include past and future medical expenses, lost income, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and mental anguish. Our Omaha motorcycle accident lawyers can assist you with your claim.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
If the driver who caused your crash was carrying the mandatory minimum liability insurance (or no insurance at all), it may not be enough to cover your damages. In that case, you can file a claim with your own auto insurance company, using your uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.
Auto insurance companies in Nebraska usually offer MedPay. This is optional coverage for medical costs related to a motor vehicle accident. Fault is not a factor with MedPay. It provides coverage up to a limit (depending on how much you purchase) for each passenger in the vehicle.
Why You Need a Lawyer
Your best chance of recovering full and fair compensation is to have an experienced attorney by your side, with the knowledge, skills, and resources to get the most out of your motorcycle accident claim. Our Omaha personal injury attorneys at Bottlinger Law L.L.C. can:
- Investigate your accident to determine fault and liability
- Collect and preserve evidence to support your claim
- Assess the full extent of your losses, past, present, and future
- Build a strong case based on the facts
- Negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf
- Effectively litigate your case if necessary
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash through the negligence of another, call us at (402) 505-8234 to schedule a free consultation. We can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be entitled to claim and help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Our legal team is ready to help. Please fill out the form below to set up a free consultation with the Bottlinger Law team.